Medan, N Sumatra (ANTARA) - The death toll from the flash flood that hit Central Tapanuli District, North Sumatra has climbed to nine, according to the Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD).
"The death toll has increased to nine," acting head of BPBD of Central Tapanuli District Ananda said here Thursday.
The number could increase further, Ananda added.
The flooding caused injuries to 22 people and inundated some 700 homes. At least 1,445 residents have sought refuge.
"Most of them did not spend the night here but chose to sleep in the homes of relatives. They only came here for food," he said.
Flooding due to torrential rain submerged seven villages in Barus Sub-district, Central Tapanuli District, North Sumatra, Wednesday morning.
The flood-affected villages were Kampung Mudik, Pasar Terandam, Bungo Tanjung, Kinali, Ujung Batu, Batu Gerigis, and Padang Masiang.
Evacuation posts and health posts have been established in the district to deal with residents affected by the natural disaster.
Meanwhile, the incessant heavy rains lashing the area since Tuesday led to extensive flooding that inundated at least 163 homes in South Tapanuli District, North Sumatra Province.
"The number of houses submerged has reached 163," Habibullah Harahap, the chief of Simataniari Village, Angkola Sangkunur Sub-district, stated Wednesday.
The floodwaters began entering the homes of residents at around 4 a.m. local time Wednesday, as the Sangkunur and Batang Toru rivers overflowed their banks.
"In Pardomuan hamlet, 96 families have been affected, while in Setia Baru there are 67 families. A total of 163 houses have been flooded," he stated.
The floodwaters in Pardomuan reached heights of up to two meters, while one-meter-high waters were recorded in Setia Baru.
Some 50 families were forced to flee to higher ground, he stated.
Indonesia is currently experiencing a rainy season after being hit by prolonged dry spell during last year's dry season.